Monday, October 23, 2017

Homework, 10/23/2017: "The Wanderer"


For tomorrow (10/24), read "The Wanderer." Identify similarities between the poem and the following lines from Beowulf:  

"Remember, Hrothgar, Oh knowing king, now
 When my danger is near, the warm words we uttered,
And if your enemy should end my life
Then be, oh generous prince, forever
The father and protector of all whom I leave
Behind me, here in your hands, my beloved
Comrades left with no leader, their leader
Dead. And the precious gifts you gave me,
My friend, send them to Higlac. May he see
In their golden brightness, the Geats' great lord
Gazing at your treasure, that here in Denmark
I found a noble protector, a giver
Of rings whose rewards I won and briefly
Relished. And you, Unferth, let
My famous old sword stay in your hands:
I shall shape glory with Hrunting, or death
Will hurry me from this earth!"

Complete study guide question #24 and be ready for a quiz over the poem.

Painting by Nicholas Roerich, "Guests from Overseas," 1901.